Tuesday 1 August 2017

Weekly Trailers

Weekly Trailer Compendium



So first on the trailer reel is the new James Franco vehicle "The Disaster Artist", which he not only stars in but is also directing.  This trailer is not that interesting, which is pretty worrying as trailers are there to draw the audience into the cinema to watch the movie.  As for the film, I cannot believe that because somebody made a bad movie, once upon a time, it would ever need a film (or a book) on how it was brought into life.  There are so many good movies out there and fewer great ones, unfortunately, these don't get the same recognition.  I, for one, will not be wasting my time on this movie.

I must admit that Denis Villeneuve "Blade Runner 2049" trailer is hitting all the right notes.  The special effects look superb, though the cityscapes don't appear as tight and crowded as they should and there appear to be more action sequences than the original.  I just hope the story doesn't get lost.  Another strong point is the acting talent on offer, Ryan Gosling is a favourite actor of mine as is Dave Bautista, who gets better in every movie, and Lennie James, who always gives a powerful performance, even Harrison Ford looks strong in his reprised role.  This is a film to definitely watch at the cinema.

Oh, My GOD!  Steven Spielberg looks to be having fun with his adaptation of Ernest Cline's novel "Ready Player One".  The only thing I can say is the special effects are AWESOME!  And this trailer Kicks Arse.  However, I am concerned as there appears to be no story, hopefully, this will be addressed in later trailers, though with Spielberg directing (a master cinematic storyteller in his own right) and the author writing the screenplay this should assuredly be one to watch.

Marvel Studios looks to kick DC's backside once again with "Thor: Ragnarok".  This, the third in the Thor series looks to be the best yet.  From this trailer, I am loving the relationship between Thor and Hulk come, Bruce Banner.  Also, the bad bitch, Hela, looks to be magnificently played by Cate Blanchett.  However, one thing did jump out at me was the Hulk... he doesn't appear to be at his Hulkiest - has he been on a diet?

"The Shape Of Water" has all of Guillermo Del Toro style and panache.  Even this trailer sings out beauty.  What it doesn't really do is give you much of an idea of how this film will play out.  Is it going to be a love story or a friendship film or an escape flick or a mix of all?  I am a great fan of Del Toro and his films, they are just a joy to watch and beauteous to behold.  However, I find myself unenthused with this trailer.  It's not grabbing me in any way and has a feel of Meh! about it.   This is a bad thing as he appears to revive The Creature From The Black Lagoon as the love, come friend interest.   I think I'll wait until this one come to BluRay.

The Snowman" is the trailer that has me sitting on the fence.  It looks to be a slow-burning thriller and has a pretty decent cast.  Though, Fassbender appears to be flatlining in this trailer - there's not too much emotion coming through in his voice and that worries me.  In films like this, you need to relate to the characters and Fassbender's leaves me as cold as the snow.  Though the story and the rest of the cast may just bring this movie together, after all Toby Jones and J K Simmons are in the cast... I'll just have to wait and see the reviews and hope,

I have to admit that if there really was a "Jaeger Uprising" and I saw this Teaser Trailer, which is in the form of an advertisement, then I would be in the queue to join.  This doesn't give too much away for the upcoming "Pacific Rim Uprising" film - watch for future trailers.

Oh dear, after watching Wonder Woman I was hoping that DC would be taking this road when writing and filming "The Justice League".  Now I'm hanging my head in sorrow as it looks like they decided on a similar route as the tragedy that was Batman V Superman.  Firstly, with the arsehole of a Superman that inhabits this part of DC's Multiverse, it's hard to see why the world would morn Superman - the paper scene is just a way to get into the DC Fans minds.  Let us not forget that he's not been superheroing too long at this point and he's already killed more innocent civilians than bad guys... not a great role model.  Then the line about the time of heroes being over... please this is the first time we are being introduced to Cyborg, Flash, and Aquaman.  Also, note that the greatest detective in the world didn't know of Wonder Woman's existence until the last movie, so after her escapades in the first world war she must have stopped fighting crime until doomsday reared his head.  It would be hard not to notice an Amazonian Warrioress, especially when she likes posing for photo's - bet she's got one hell of an Instagram page.  Also, this Barry Allen is a dweeb - the guy isn't even a nerd and definitely doesn't appear as intelligent as he should be.  He is also a lame hero at this point... he just pushes people and runs away...  There is some seriously bad writing showing through here and just in a trailer what will the rest of the movie be like?  Though it's not all bad, I did love the Parademon surfing Aquaman scene.  It looks like I'll be waiting for the DVD sales or a free copy of this film.

Will Smith's new film for Netflix looks to be a leave-your-brain-at-the-door number.  "Bright" looks quite boring until the action kicks off.  However, there's some scope as to how good this film can be since it's about a magic wand - described by one of the silliest lines this year, "It's like a nuclear weapon that can grant wishes!"  If it can grant wishes than the limitations are in the holder's mind.  Let's hope the writers have good imaginations or we'll be left wanting, though by this trailer it doesn't look too imaginative.  I'll not rush and subscribe to Netflix just yet.

Stan Lee advertising his own and Marvel's characters in the upcoming "The Defenders" is the best way to push the series as it lends authenticity to the show.  If Stan Lee is willing to endorse it them it must have his blessing and must be as good as the comic books.  If Stan believes then I believe too.  Good enough for me, even though the trailer doesn't give away too much.

They have the skill, the brains... and the skipping rope.  Kingsman kicked arse when it came out and it looks like "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" will kick ass too.  This is one well cut trailer that gets the juices of excitement flowing.  The best thing about this is there's no squeaky Samual L Jackson in it.  What we appear to get is some more great brolly work, lasso wrangling, six-gun sharp-shooting, athletic kick-assery weaved together in a visionary beauty of camera work and special effects.  This is the one I want to see.

Will I give "The Lego Ninjago Movie" a look?  This is a serious question as I hated The Lego Movie.  However, the trailer looks good and the voice of the Ninja Master is Jackie Chan so that is a plus point.  The other advantage is the lego itself.  On the whole, the effects in the first film were stunning, if they keep up that excellence in this one... and the story and direction are better then it may just be worth a watch.  Probably wait until the BluRay though.

Though the Saw series had a lot of failures, especially in time lines in the latter of the series it was still enjoyable to watch, especially if you're a special-effects splatterpunk gorehead like me.  This reboot, under the name "Jigsaw", looks to continue where the last finished... and it doesn't even appear to change any of the Saw preferences or premise.  The cops are chasing a serial copycat killer who is torturing and executing "sinners" in a series of violent challenges.  The copycat is still using John's voice on a tape recorder.  So if you like the original series then you'll probably love this as it looks and feels just like the previous movies...  One note, I do love this trailer as it adds a new darker side to Roy Orbison's "Running Scared".

"Only The Brave" is the drama film I want to watch.  Josh Brolin has had his shares of hit and misses and this should be a definite hit if the trailer is anything to go by.  How can a story based on true events and real-life heroes miss, especially if it's beautifully filmed with a strong story binding it together?  Just watching this trailer sent goosebumps up my arms, when I get this feeling then I know I have to watch this film.

Is Blaxploitation back?  I sure hope so because I loved Shaft and "Proud Mary" looks to be along those lines.  It's nice to see Taraji P Henson in a leading role, particularly that of a strong fierce woman, of which there's not enough.  I have no doubt Henson can hold a lead role as she's shown some serious acting skills in her previous roles.  Though the trailer offers little in character or story insights it has me curious and with an actress who I like and trust in their skills to perform and entertain then I will give this a watch on its release, if not at the cinema then on BluRay.



No comments:

Post a Comment